At first, I thought that the idea of social networking was just Facebook or Twitter but the article on how to use social networking for learning defines it as: "software that allows people to come together around an idea or topic of interest. A school could use blog software to bring together anyone who's writing about politics or computing or Greek literature" (Smith, 2007). Students are are increasingly more successful when they are allowed to utilize technology for learning.
I came across an interesting article that discusses how iPods and MP3 players are all becoming effective learning tools in schools nationwide. "early evidence is that kids are interacting with the language alot more and therefore are learning faster because it's fun" (Dessoff 2005). Here is the link:
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/iPods+OK+in+class
Initially, I was intrigued by all that was out there and was trying to figure out a way to fit my curriculum around using these social networks. I am going to have my students try their hands at a blog. I am going to get then set up using Kidblog.org. I was a bit leery because it states that it is for younger students but I liked the control I have over the postings and responses and feel it is the easiest way to get the students started. Here is the website: http://kidblog.org/home.php
I plan on posting a question or comment about what we are currently reading in class and I want the students to respond to it. I am going to give them guidelines to follow and will have a simple rubric from which they will be evaluated. I then plan to use the document camera once or twice a week to highlight some of the responses as well as to model how postings should look.
I feel that these exercises will reflect a few of the NETS for teachers by inspiring student learning and creativity as well as develop digital-age learning experiences by fostering an understanding about digital tools and resources.
I am also going to use Diigo (diigo.com)when I have my students completing their freshman research papers. The papers incorporate an English/Social Studies theme and using Diigo would help students post and create helpful bookmarks in which to share information about their topics.
In response to the second half of the question regarding a teacher's presence on-line, I feel it is our responsibilty to be almost paranoid about how we present ourselves on our profiles and/or our Twitter responses. I can understand the argument about it being our first ammendment rite to be able to say what we want without retribution but that argument is flawed. We are accountable for what we say because students look to us as role models and mentors. Unfortunately, that role comes with the job whether we like it or not so we should be cognizant of what we say about our employers, our students and their parents. In this day of the information age, I feel these "educators" were arrogant to think that they could write something derogatory about people, post it to their page and not think about the repercussions!! ("H.S.Teacher Loses Job",2010)("Facebook Costs Job",2010) The old adage about "never put it in writing" was obviously lost on them! My responses to both of the articles was shock and disbelief over the fact that two highly educated professionals were so laxed in their judgement. I do believe that the punishment for the Cohasset teacher was a bit too extreme. I do not believe that her comments, although insensitive, warranted her being fired. I believe she should have been put on probation, received a warning and maybe a few days of unpaid leave.I feel she deserved some sort of due process especially since she was a seasoned teacher and many said she had no idea what she was doing. On the other hand, I do feel the insipid superintendent of Windsor Locks should have been fired without pay. I realize that due to contractoral issues, he received his pay but I feel that the district should have cited inappropriate behavior as the reason why they would not pay him. He should have known better and is supposed to serve as a role model for his staff. Superintendents expect their staff to be professional yet he exhibited no professional conduct and was arrogant and flippant. The outcome of his actions just reinforces that the higher up the food chain, the more insulated one is.
References:
Dessoff, A (2005, December). iPods Ok in Class. retrieved from http://findgalegroup.com/gps/infomark.do?
Facebook Costs Job. (September 16, 2010).Retrived from
http://www.middletownpress.com/articles/2010/09/16/news/doc4c919100dd427985201086.txt
H.S. Teacher Loses Job Over Facebook Posting.(August 18, 2010). Retrieved from
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/24670937/detail.html
Smith, F (April 20, 2007). How to Use Social Networking for Learning. Retrieved from
http://www.edutopia.org/how-use-social-networking-technology
No comments:
Post a Comment